Support a skill
We want to raise £15,000 so people we support can learn new skills.
Our Support a skill campaign provides money for people we support for practical things to develop an interest, skill, hobby or passion, and to help them thrive.
Whether its honing existing ones, getting creative or learning to live healthier lifestyles, we want to support it – but we need your help!
Please support a skill today. We know that with your help, people can learn new skills and thrive.
Duane’s going to the studio
Duane is a rapper and writes his own music. He received Support a skill funding to get his songs recorded in a professional sound recording studio. He told us:
“I have been coming to The Gate for many years and I like to go there to see my friends and to make music. We always come up with cool tunes and rhymes.
“Lockdown was difficult for me. I live far away from everybody, so I was lonely and alone. I also lost my dad, so I was very sad. I learned how to record music on my phone which helped me a lot. It kept me busy, and I wrote many songs.
“I always wanted to record my songs in a proper studio so I was very happy when Seb asked me to come to Sausage Studios. Apparently someone else is gonna pay for it so it’s a win-win. I’ll ask my mate Darren 2Decks to come along and help me out. He’s a good rapper. I’ll try my best to make some sick tunes and we can play them on our radio show.”
Nice one, Duane!
Janet gets baking!
Meanwhile, in Hammersmith and Fulham, new equipment has allowed Janet and her fellow residents to develop their baking skills, leading to some amazing results recently at Halloween! Janet told us:
“Baking and decorating cupcakes helps me feel more relaxed, and happier. My favourite recipe to bake is Italian Pastry Cream (Crema Pasticcera). I enjoyed decorating variety of Halloween themed cupcakes with my friends.
“I am looking forward to the next session and learning new recipes.”
Support a skill has also funded the following:
- Our newly launched ‘Garden to Plate’ initiative which aims to inspire people we support to get creative and develop their skills
- In Shepherd’s Bush the team has been able to buy a new printer to support John’s passion for photography
- Nichaela has started to use some newly bought sewing equipment, including a sewing machine, fabrics and more, for her creations
Other skills and projects we are supporting through the scheme are just as exciting, and we are funding:
- arts and crafts supplies to improve drawing and painting skills
- gardening tools and seeds to develop gardening skills, grow flowers, vegetables and a fruit tree
- pasta making equipment to develop cooking skills – particularly cooking fresh pasta and dumplings from scratch
- an educational trip to a zoo to learn how to care for animals
- a magic trick kit and costume to entertain fellow residents!
Where will my donation go?
will buy kitchen
so people can brush up on their cooking and baking skills.
arts & craft kits
so someone can unleash their creative potential.
so people can teach themselves the ways of the land!
a computer tablet
so someone can show off their new skills to their loved ones.
How do I donate?
Text to donate:
Text 5SKILLS to 70085 to donate £5
Text 10SKILLS to 70085 to donate £10
Text 20SKILLS to 70085 to donate £20
Texts costs £5, £10 or £20 plus one standard rate message and you’ll be opting in to hear more about our work and fundraising via telephone and SMS.
If you’d like to give £5, £10 or £20 but do not wish to receive marketing communications:
Text 5SKILLSNOINFO to 70085
Text 10SKILLSNOINFO to 70085
Text 20SKILLSNOINFO to 70085